Citizens to provide concrete and unique input to the European Union’s research and innovation agenda
Partners from all countries in the EU, plus Norway and Switzerland, were gathered in Copenhagen four days in September to launch a new great EU project, coordinated by the Danish Board of Technology: CIMULACT.
CIMULACT stands for ‘Citizen and Multi-Actor Consultation on Horizon 2020’. The project engages more than 1000 citizens in 30 countries in Europe, along with a variety of other actors, in shaping a desirable sustainable future. In a highly participatory process, the project will provide a unique contribution to European research and innovation policies and topics, create dialogue and shared understanding among the actors, and build strong capacities in citizen engagement, thereby enhancing responsible research and innovation (RRI) in the EU.
In short, CIMULACT will:
- Involve citizens in the actual formulation of the EU research and innovation agendas.
- Provide concrete and unique input to the identification of the future European research agenda by eliciting concerns about, wishes for and visions of desirable sustainable futures from 1000 citizens in 30 countries in Europe.
- Make the European research and innovation agenda relevant and accountable to society by engaging citizens, stakeholders and experts in co-creating research agendas based on real, validated and shared visions, needs and demands.
- Contribute to responsible research and innovation (RRI) in the EU by promoting the engagement and inclusion of the public in the identification of desirable sustainable futures.
- Set a new standard for public participation through the development, testing, training and assessment of methods for citizen and stakeholder engagement.
- Make the building of the future more accessible. It is no longer only a question discussed by policy makers and experts; it is a wider public conversation for a greater democracy.
CIMULACT is a three-year project funded by the European Commission, starting June 2015.
For more information, visit the website cimulact.eu