Below we have listed the most important considerations to bear in mind when you wish societal development to be a joint effort. Four main ingredients stand out.
Talk to each other before, during and after the process has been completed, internally as well as externally. That will ensure that balancing the expectations of everyone involved will be a continuous process in accordance with how it all evolves.
Without good timing there is no possibility for change. It is too late to involve or include anyone when the decisions have been made.
Quality, quality, quality
It is all about the honest will to listen and learn and no simply pretending. Make sure to do the legwork properly and do not rush it. Articulate a clear goal, create a strong political anchorage, be sharp on planning and make sure that there is great facilitation. Be resolute in your follow-up and feedback to make sure that everyone gets as much as possible from the process.
Engaging in this with e.g. citizens, associations, industry or experts will result in great returns when you have thought the process through before it has even begun.
Shared development can be many things, such as:
- Involve several different partners, perhaps even of contradictory interests in building a new playground.
- The meal systems in childcare institutions with more or less pork on the plate.
- Prioritizing the municipal budgets in a time of cutbacks.
- Planning the bus services in order to insure that the majority get what they need.
- A joint and strategic political development with regard to the greater challenges.
We hope that this recipe can help when planning. For the future, we will follow up with elaborations and debates on the individual phases on our website, newsletters and in ENGAGEMENT.